Posts for tag: Periodontal Treatment
The CDC reports periodontal problems as the leading cause of tooth loss among American adults. If you have concerns about your gum health, see Dr. Mark Thomasson or Dr. Andrew Thomasson. They correctly diagnose periodontal issues and deliver precise treatments at Thomasson Dental in Madison, TN.
How bacteria impacts your gums
Hidden in plaque and tartar, bacteria eat away at tooth surfaces and gum tissue. Depending on its severity, gum disease (also called gingivitis or periodontitis) causes damaging inflammation to spread throughout the body. Systemic health conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, stroke, dementia, arthritis, hypertension and more result.
Gum disease symptoms
How do you know you have gum disease? Well, many people do not recognize its symptoms which may include:
- Bleeding when you brush or floss
- Gum tenderness, swelling and redness
- Pain when you eat
- Dark gum color and sores, or fistulas, near tooth roots
- Visible tooth roots
- Constant bad breath
- Separating and loose teeth
- Changes in dental bite
- Gum recession greater than three millimeters, as measured by your dentist (periodontal probing)
Periodontal treatments in our Madison, TN, office
Dear Doctor explains that early recognition of symptoms and an accurate treatment plan aids in healing gum tissue, retaining all your teeth and avoiding the long-term health problems associated with periodontal disease. Visual inspection, periodontal probing and X-ray imaging determines jaw bone quality and how well your teeth are attached to the alveolar ridge.
To heal unhealthy tissue, Dr.Mark Thomasson and Dr. Andrew Thomasson offer the following procedures:
- Tooth scaling and root planing, a deeper dental cleaning which removes extensive deposits of plaque and tartar from below the gum line
- Gum grafting surgery which uses your tissue or donor material to cover exposed tooth roots
Preventing gum disease
Prevention is an effective periodontal treatment. To keep gums healthy and avoid complications later on:
- Brush and floss daily. Be gentle, and never scrub or abrade your soft oral tissues.
- Eat a high-fiber diet, and drink lots of water.
- Do not smoke or abuse alcohol.
- Use an anti-plaque mouthwash daily.
- Understand that if family members have gum problems, you may develop them, too. Be vigilant.
To learn more about periodontal treatments, please contact Dr. Mark Thomasson or Dr. Andrew Thomasson in their Madison, TN, office. Our dental team will answer all your questions. Phone Thomasson Dental at (615) 865-1732.