Posts for tag: Periodontal Treatment
At Thomasson Dental, Dr. Mark Thomasson and Dr. Andrew Thomasson serve Madison, TN, providing excellent dental care for the whole family. If you have gum disease, periodontal treatment can help keep your smile healthy and beautiful.
Gum disease happens when plaque and tartar build-up on the surfaces of the teeth. The bacteria irritate the gums and cause them to pull away from the teeth. Left untreated, gum disease can lead to tooth loss, but we can help with periodontal treatment.
Periodontal treatment options are surgical and non-surgical. The best treatment for you will depend on how advanced your gum disease is and how much damage has been done to the healthy gum tissue. Common treatments for gum disease include:
- A scaling and root planing procedure is a targeted cleaning of the surfaces of the teeth at the gum line. Scaling removes all plaque and tartar, and root planing involves reshaping the tooth so that gums grow back in healthy around the tooth.
- If you have lost healthy gum tissue due to gum disease, a gum graft can help restore your gums. Healthy gum tissue is harvested from another part of your mouth and grafted to the area lacking tissue.
- Laser therapy removes infected gum tissue with a targeted laser procedure. Lasers can target infected gum tissue without damaging healthy tissue.
We provide all these services at our Madison, TN, practice and encourage you to see us twice a year to prevent gum disease.
Preventing gum disease
To prevent gum disease, you need to follow a great oral hygiene routine at home and keep up with regular dental visits twice a year. Your dentist will recommend brushing for two minutes twice a day and flossing at least once a day. Professional teeth cleanings every six months keep plaque and tartar from building up on the teeth to prevent damage to your gums.
Dr. Mark Thomasson and Dr. Andrew Thomasson treat gum disease to keep your teeth healthy and looking great. Contact Thomasson Dental for an appointment in Madison, TN, at (615) 865-1732.
The CDC reports periodontal problems as the leading cause of tooth loss among American adults. If you have concerns about your gum health, see Dr. Mark Thomasson or Dr. Andrew Thomasson. They correctly diagnose periodontal issues and deliver precise treatments at Thomasson Dental in Madison, TN.
How bacteria impacts your gums
Hidden in plaque and tartar, bacteria eat away at tooth surfaces and gum tissue. Depending on its severity, gum disease (also called gingivitis or periodontitis) causes damaging inflammation to spread throughout the body. Systemic health conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, stroke, dementia, arthritis, hypertension and more result.
Gum disease symptoms
How do you know you have gum disease? Well, many people do not recognize its symptoms which may include:
- Bleeding when you brush or floss
- Gum tenderness, swelling and redness
- Pain when you eat
- Dark gum color and sores, or fistulas, near tooth roots
- Visible tooth roots
- Constant bad breath
- Separating and loose teeth
- Changes in dental bite
- Gum recession greater than three millimeters, as measured by your dentist (periodontal probing)
Periodontal treatments in our Madison, TN, office
Dear Doctor explains that early recognition of symptoms and an accurate treatment plan aids in healing gum tissue, retaining all your teeth and avoiding the long-term health problems associated with periodontal disease. Visual inspection, periodontal probing and X-ray imaging determines jaw bone quality and how well your teeth are attached to the alveolar ridge.
To heal unhealthy tissue, Dr.Mark Thomasson and Dr. Andrew Thomasson offer the following procedures:
- Tooth scaling and root planing, a deeper dental cleaning which removes extensive deposits of plaque and tartar from below the gum line
- Gum grafting surgery which uses your tissue or donor material to cover exposed tooth roots
Preventing gum disease
Prevention is an effective periodontal treatment. To keep gums healthy and avoid complications later on:
- Brush and floss daily. Be gentle, and never scrub or abrade your soft oral tissues.
- Eat a high-fiber diet, and drink lots of water.
- Do not smoke or abuse alcohol.
- Use an anti-plaque mouthwash daily.
- Understand that if family members have gum problems, you may develop them, too. Be vigilant.
To learn more about periodontal treatments, please contact Dr. Mark Thomasson or Dr. Andrew Thomasson in their Madison, TN, office. Our dental team will answer all your questions. Phone Thomasson Dental at (615) 865-1732.