Your tooth is throbbing and so sensitive to heat and cold. Do you need root canal therapy? Your dentists at Thomasson Dental in Madison, TN, Dr. Mark Thomasson and Dr. Andrew Thomasson, can tell you if your tooth can be saved with this predictable and long-standing restorative service.
What is a root canal?
So named for the pulp-filled void inside each tooth root, root canal therapy removes infected and inflamed tissue, seals the canal and covers the tooth with a porcelain crown. Dr. Thomasson performs these procedures with benefit of local anesthetic and small files which debride and smooth the canal walls. He also instills antibiotic medication to clear up the infection and strengthens each canal with gutta-percha, an inert, biocompatible putty.
Usually, root canal treatments take two visits to your Madison dentist's office. One appointment involves evaluation of your tooth, taking oral impressions, cleaning out the canals and placing a temporary cap over the tooth.
After about ten days, you return to Thomasson Dental where your dentist removes the cap, checks the status of the tooth and then covers it with a customized porcelain crown. That completes your root canal treatment.
What tells the dentist you need a root canal
Many things do. One is dental sensitivity to pressure, heat and cold. Another is drainage, reddened, swollen gums and toothache pain. Sometimes, really bad breath accompanies a dental abscess. Also, some teeth benefit from root canal therapy if they have suffered trauma or are simply weak congenitally. Count on the expertise of your oral health care provider to guide you through the decision process and the treatment itself.
Miscellaneous facts about root canal therapy
1. It's as easy as getting a big filling.
2. It saves teeth from unnecessary extraction and expensive tooth replacements.
3. The procedure does not hurt.
4. Most root canal procedures succeed, preserving teeth for years, says the American Association of Endodontists, dentists expert in root canal therapies of all kinds.
5. Teeth treated with root canal therapy are easy to care for. Brush and floss as you usually do. See your dentist at Thomasson Dental every six months for a professional cleaning and examination.
Do you need a root canal?
Dr. Mark Thomasson or Dr. Andrew Thomasson will let you know if your tooth is a candidate for this tried and true treatment. If you suspect a serious problem with any of your teeth, call the office in Madison, TN, right away for an appointment: (615) 865-1732.