Posts for category: Dental Procedures
The CDC reports periodontal problems as the leading cause of tooth loss among American adults. If you have concerns about your gum health, see Dr. Mark Thomasson or Dr. Andrew Thomasson. They correctly diagnose periodontal issues and deliver precise treatments at Thomasson Dental in Madison, TN.
How bacteria impacts your gums
Hidden in plaque and tartar, bacteria eat away at tooth surfaces and gum tissue. Depending on its severity, gum disease (also called gingivitis or periodontitis) causes damaging inflammation to spread throughout the body. Systemic health conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, stroke, dementia, arthritis, hypertension and more result.
Gum disease symptoms
How do you know you have gum disease? Well, many people do not recognize its symptoms which may include:
- Bleeding when you brush or floss
- Gum tenderness, swelling and redness
- Pain when you eat
- Dark gum color and sores, or fistulas, near tooth roots
- Visible tooth roots
- Constant bad breath
- Separating and loose teeth
- Changes in dental bite
- Gum recession greater than three millimeters, as measured by your dentist (periodontal probing)
Periodontal treatments in our Madison, TN, office
Dear Doctor explains that early recognition of symptoms and an accurate treatment plan aids in healing gum tissue, retaining all your teeth and avoiding the long-term health problems associated with periodontal disease. Visual inspection, periodontal probing and X-ray imaging determines jaw bone quality and how well your teeth are attached to the alveolar ridge.
To heal unhealthy tissue, Dr.Mark Thomasson and Dr. Andrew Thomasson offer the following procedures:
- Tooth scaling and root planing, a deeper dental cleaning which removes extensive deposits of plaque and tartar from below the gum line
- Gum grafting surgery which uses your tissue or donor material to cover exposed tooth roots
Preventing gum disease
Prevention is an effective periodontal treatment. To keep gums healthy and avoid complications later on:
- Brush and floss daily. Be gentle, and never scrub or abrade your soft oral tissues.
- Eat a high-fiber diet, and drink lots of water.
- Do not smoke or abuse alcohol.
- Use an anti-plaque mouthwash daily.
- Understand that if family members have gum problems, you may develop them, too. Be vigilant.
To learn more about periodontal treatments, please contact Dr. Mark Thomasson or Dr. Andrew Thomasson in their Madison, TN, office. Our dental team will answer all your questions. Phone Thomasson Dental at (615) 865-1732.
Do you have a missing tooth? Getting dental implants could help solve your problem. Dental implants function as a replacement for a tooth root that is lost and is created to look like your natural teeth. They are installed surgically into the jawbone and can combine with the bone within a couple of months.
Dental implants are among the most common tooth restoration solutions our dentists here at Thomasson Dental in Madison, TN, Dr. Mark Thomasson, and Dr. Andrew Thomasson, use for replacing missing teeth.
How You Can Benefit from Dental Implants
Dental implants can provide you the following benefits:
- Better Oral Health. If the gum where the missing tooth once is left exposed, it will be more susceptible to bacterial infection, which could lead to gum disease and other oral health issues. Dental implants prevent this from happening.
- Boosted Confidence and Self-Esteem. Dental implants can help restore your smile, hence, your confidence in your appearance.
- Durability and Stability. Dental implants can typically last for many, many years—even a lifetime, if you take proper care of them.
- Eat with Ease. It feels strange, and sometimes downright frustrating, to eat with missing teeth. Dental implants can easily rid you of that discomfort.
- Enhanced Comfort. Dental implants offer adequate comfort as they act and feel like your natural teeth.
- Improved Speech. Other tooth restoration options, most especially if they don’t fit correctly, could cause you to slur your words. Dental implants, on the other hand, let you speak with ease as they are secure and practically become a part of your jawbone.
Are Dental Implants Right for You?
Your eligibility for dental implants would primarily depend on your overall health. You can definitely get dental implants if you are healthy enough to go through oral surgery or a routine dental extraction. You must have enough bone and healthy gums to secure the implant. Additionally, you must be committed to practicing good oral hygiene and attending regular dental checkups or appointments. But only a consultation with your dentist in Madison, TN will tell you whether or not you’ll be a great candidate for dental implants.
For Questions or More Details on Dental Implants Then Contact Us
Dial (615) 865-1732 to reach Thomasson Dental here in Madison, TN and arrange an evaluation with one of our dentists, Dr. Mark Thomasson or Dr. Andrew Thomasson.
Your tooth is throbbing and so sensitive to heat and cold. Do you need root canal therapy? Your dentists at Thomasson Dental in Madison, TN, Dr. Mark Thomasson and Dr. Andrew Thomasson, can tell you if your tooth can be saved with this predictable and long-standing restorative service.
What is a root canal?
So named for the pulp-filled void inside each tooth root, root canal therapy removes infected and inflamed tissue, seals the canal and covers the tooth with a porcelain crown. Dr. Thomasson performs these procedures with benefit of local anesthetic and small files which debride and smooth the canal walls. He also instills antibiotic medication to clear up the infection and strengthens each canal with gutta-percha, an inert, biocompatible putty.
Usually, root canal treatments take two visits to your Madison dentist's office. One appointment involves evaluation of your tooth, taking oral impressions, cleaning out the canals and placing a temporary cap over the tooth.
After about ten days, you return to Thomasson Dental where your dentist removes the cap, checks the status of the tooth and then covers it with a customized porcelain crown. That completes your root canal treatment.
What tells the dentist you need a root canal
Many things do. One is dental sensitivity to pressure, heat and cold. Another is drainage, reddened, swollen gums and toothache pain. Sometimes, really bad breath accompanies a dental abscess. Also, some teeth benefit from root canal therapy if they have suffered trauma or are simply weak congenitally. Count on the expertise of your oral health care provider to guide you through the decision process and the treatment itself.
Miscellaneous facts about root canal therapy
1. It's as easy as getting a big filling.
2. It saves teeth from unnecessary extraction and expensive tooth replacements.
3. The procedure does not hurt.
4. Most root canal procedures succeed, preserving teeth for years, says the American Association of Endodontists, dentists expert in root canal therapies of all kinds.
5. Teeth treated with root canal therapy are easy to care for. Brush and floss as you usually do. See your dentist at Thomasson Dental every six months for a professional cleaning and examination.
Do you need a root canal?
Dr. Mark Thomasson or Dr. Andrew Thomasson will let you know if your tooth is a candidate for this tried and true treatment. If you suspect a serious problem with any of your teeth, call the office in Madison, TN, right away for an appointment: (615) 865-1732.
Discover the wonderful benefits you’ll enjoy when you get dental implants to treat your tooth loss.
Are you wondering what the right treatment option is after tooth loss? We know how challenging it can be to choose the ideal restoration to suit your needs, which is why our Madison, TN, dentists Drs. Mark and Andrew Thomasson are here to help make the decision easier. We offer a full range of tooth replacement options. One restoration that more and more adults are turning to in order to replace missing teeth is a dental implant.
What is a dental implant?
An implant is a metal screw or post that is surgically placed into a drilled hole in the jawbone. The implant itself isn’t visible when you smile since it will be under the gumline; however, a false tooth can be attached to the top of the post. The purpose of an implant is to replace the roots of your teeth, which provide your jawbone with the stimulation it needs to prevent bone loss (a complication of untreated tooth loss).
Can dental implants replace multiple teeth?
Just because a single implant is only designed to replace one missing tooth doesn’t mean that multiple implants cannot be placed along the arches of the jawbone to support dentures. Implant-supported dentures are ideal for patients with healthy jawbones that are having trouble keeping their dentures in place.
Getting dental implants can be particularly advantageous for patients who are missing all of their upper teeth, as it can be more challenging to keep full upper dentures in place. Implants ensure that dentures don’t shift or move around particularly when chewing or speaking.
What goes into getting a dental implant?
In order to get a dental implant our Madison, TN, restorative dentist will need to perform minor surgery. This can be done under local anesthesia, which will numb the area prior to opening up the gums and placing the implant into the jawbone.
During the healing process, which can take anywhere from three to six months, the jawbone will heal around the implant and fuse together with the metal post to become one permanent unit. From there, we can attach the false tooth or dentures on top of the implant.
Are you interested in getting dental implants in Madison, WI? If so, the next step is to schedule a consultation with your dentist. Call Thomasson Dental today.
How your dentists in Madison, TN, can make your dental visit more enjoyable
If you feel nervous when someone mentions going to the dentist, you need to find out about sedation dentistry. Drs. Mark and Andrew Thomasson at Thomasson Dental in Madison, TN, offer a wide range of dental sedation techniques to help make your next dental visit more relaxing and anxiety-free—read on to learn more!
The Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
Dental anxiety is the real deal, and it’s not “all in your head.” In fact, dental anxiety produces some very real physical changes like increased heart rate, quick, shallow breathing, sweating, and other uncomfortable symptoms. The good news is, no matter what your level of dental anxiety is, there is a dental sedation technique which is perfect for you.
At Thomasson Dental, you can choose from:
- Oral Sedation: Taken in pill form, usually about an hour before your appointment, this treatment allows you to respond to questions, but you won’t remember much of your appointment.
- Inhaled Conscious Sedation: A combination of nitrous oxide and oxygen inhaled through a nosepiece, the effects of this sedation leave your body quickly after treatment.
- Intravenous Sedation: This method involves liquid sedative medication being delivered directly into a vein, which provides the most profound sedation, delivered immediately.
Dental sedation is completely safe, and it allows you and your dentist to complete necessary dental treatment in a calm, relaxing atmosphere. However, you should plan on bringing someone with you who can drive you home after treatment.
For more detailed information about sedation dentistry, please visit the Sedation Dentistry section on the website at https://www.thomassondental.com/sedation-dentistry.html
Interested? Give us a Call!
You deserve to have a great dental appointment to take care of your great smile, and sedation dentistry can help you get the most out of your dental appointment. To find out more about what sedation dentistry can do for you, call Drs. Mark and Andrew Thomasson at Thomasson Dental in Madison, TN, today! The number is (615) 865-1732.