Posts for category: Dental Procedures
Do you have gaps in your smile? If you are missing teeth, dental implants could complete your smile. Dr. Andrew Thomasson and Dr. Mark Thomasson of Thomasson Dental offer dental implants in Madison, TN.
How Do Dental Implants Work?
Dental implants are placed during minor oral surgery. Your dentist embeds a screw-shaped post into the jaw bone to replace the roots of your missing natural tooth. As it heals over several weeks, the bone will fuse with the post, making it a permanent tooth replacement. You will wear a temporary crown while your custom crown is being made. Your permanent crown will be attached in a final visit, and you will leave with your brand-new tooth.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants have many benefits, including:
- Dental implant crowns are made of light-reflective materials that perfectly match your tooth enamel and blend in with the rest of your smile
- Taking care of your implants is easy because all you have to do is brush your teeth twice a day and floss at least once the way you usually do
- Dental implants will not be susceptible to decay and could last a lifetime with the proper care
- Dental implants are versatile and can be used to replace one or many missing teeth. Your dentist can also use them with other treatments like implant-supported bridges and implant-supported dentures.
Are Dental Implants in Madison, TN, Right for Me?
To be considered for dental implants, your general and oral health have to be able to support the treatment. Any problems with your gums or cavities in your teeth need to be cared for by your dentist before you get dental implants. Your dentist will also need to see if you have the proper bone density before placing an implant. Unfortunately, bone loss accompanies tooth loss, so you may need to get a bone graft before considering implants if this is
the case. You also can’t get implants if you are a current smoker because smoking will interfere with the healing process. You have to quit smoking before getting dental implants.
To find out what dental implants in Madison, TN, can do for your smile, contact your dentists, Dr. Andrew Thomasson and Dr. Mark Thomasson. Call (615) 865-1732 to schedule an appointment at Thomasson Dental today.
Not everyone is going to need to have their wisdom teeth removed. They typically come in soon after the teenage years, but this can vary a lot from person to person. If they erupt correctly there is usually little reason for concern. But for some, they can become impacted and lead to a number of problems. There are signs that your wisdom tooth is impacted but the surest way to know if they're coming in properly is to visit your Madison, TN, dentists. Learn more by contacting Dr. Mark Thomasson and Dr. Andrew Thomasson of Thomasson Dental.
Signs of Trouble
Many dentists recommend extracting impacted teeth to prevent some of the more common complications. Even if there are no early signs of trouble, it is still a possibility.
An impacted wisdom tooth is much more difficult to keep clean so it can lead to plaque buildup. Plaque is host to bacteria that can wear away the enamel on your teeth and harm your gums. Making cavities and gum disease a likely outcome.
Impacted teeth also tend to erupt in a direction that can injure neighboring teeth. The pressure can damage the tooth immediately in its path but also can create pressure and crowding on other teeth as well. The result is often severe pain that is difficult to ignore.
Wisdom Teeth Treatment in Madison, TN
You shouldn't wait on inflammation and pain to warn you about your impacted teeth. Regular checkups with your dentist can help your doctor monitor the progress of your wisdom teeth. An x-ray can tell you a lot more about the status of your wisdom tooth than any other warning sign. It is usually better to have them extracted before they can cause complications.
Whether you're already experiencing these complications with your wisdom teeth in Madison, TN, or simply wish to prevent them, schedule a consultation today with Dr. Mark Thomasson and Dr. Andrew Thomasson of Thomasson Dental by dialing (615) 865-1732.
The CDC reports periodontal problems as the leading cause of tooth loss among American adults. If you have concerns about your gum health, see Dr. Mark Thomasson or Dr. Andrew Thomasson. They correctly diagnose periodontal issues and deliver precise treatments at Thomasson Dental in Madison, TN.
How bacteria impacts your gums
Hidden in plaque and tartar, bacteria eat away at tooth surfaces and gum tissue. Depending on its severity, gum disease (also called gingivitis or periodontitis) causes damaging inflammation to spread throughout the body. Systemic health conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, stroke, dementia, arthritis, hypertension and more result.
Gum disease symptoms
How do you know you have gum disease? Well, many people do not recognize its symptoms which may include:
- Bleeding when you brush or floss
- Gum tenderness, swelling and redness
- Pain when you eat
- Dark gum color and sores, or fistulas, near tooth roots
- Visible tooth roots
- Constant bad breath
- Separating and loose teeth
- Changes in dental bite
- Gum recession greater than three millimeters, as measured by your dentist (periodontal probing)
Periodontal treatments in our Madison, TN, office
Dear Doctor explains that early recognition of symptoms and an accurate treatment plan aids in healing gum tissue, retaining all your teeth and avoiding the long-term health problems associated with periodontal disease. Visual inspection, periodontal probing and X-ray imaging determines jaw bone quality and how well your teeth are attached to the alveolar ridge.
To heal unhealthy tissue, Dr.Mark Thomasson and Dr. Andrew Thomasson offer the following procedures:
- Tooth scaling and root planing, a deeper dental cleaning which removes extensive deposits of plaque and tartar from below the gum line
- Gum grafting surgery which uses your tissue or donor material to cover exposed tooth roots
Preventing gum disease
Prevention is an effective periodontal treatment. To keep gums healthy and avoid complications later on:
- Brush and floss daily. Be gentle, and never scrub or abrade your soft oral tissues.
- Eat a high-fiber diet, and drink lots of water.
- Do not smoke or abuse alcohol.
- Use an anti-plaque mouthwash daily.
- Understand that if family members have gum problems, you may develop them, too. Be vigilant.
To learn more about periodontal treatments, please contact Dr. Mark Thomasson or Dr. Andrew Thomasson in their Madison, TN, office. Our dental team will answer all your questions. Phone Thomasson Dental at (615) 865-1732.
Do you have a missing tooth? Getting dental implants could help solve your problem. Dental implants function as a replacement for a tooth root that is lost and is created to look like your natural teeth. They are installed surgically into the jawbone and can combine with the bone within a couple of months.
Dental implants are among the most common tooth restoration solutions our dentists here at Thomasson Dental in Madison, TN, Dr. Mark Thomasson, and Dr. Andrew Thomasson, use for replacing missing teeth.
How You Can Benefit from Dental Implants
Dental implants can provide you the following benefits:
- Better Oral Health. If the gum where the missing tooth once is left exposed, it will be more susceptible to bacterial infection, which could lead to gum disease and other oral health issues. Dental implants prevent this from happening.
- Boosted Confidence and Self-Esteem. Dental implants can help restore your smile, hence, your confidence in your appearance.
- Durability and Stability. Dental implants can typically last for many, many years—even a lifetime, if you take proper care of them.
- Eat with Ease. It feels strange, and sometimes downright frustrating, to eat with missing teeth. Dental implants can easily rid you of that discomfort.
- Enhanced Comfort. Dental implants offer adequate comfort as they act and feel like your natural teeth.
- Improved Speech. Other tooth restoration options, most especially if they don’t fit correctly, could cause you to slur your words. Dental implants, on the other hand, let you speak with ease as they are secure and practically become a part of your jawbone.
Are Dental Implants Right for You?
Your eligibility for dental implants would primarily depend on your overall health. You can definitely get dental implants if you are healthy enough to go through oral surgery or a routine dental extraction. You must have enough bone and healthy gums to secure the implant. Additionally, you must be committed to practicing good oral hygiene and attending regular dental checkups or appointments. But only a consultation with your dentist in Madison, TN will tell you whether or not you’ll be a great candidate for dental implants.
For Questions or More Details on Dental Implants Then Contact Us
Dial (615) 865-1732 to reach Thomasson Dental here in Madison, TN and arrange an evaluation with one of our dentists, Dr. Mark Thomasson or Dr. Andrew Thomasson.
Your tooth is throbbing and so sensitive to heat and cold. Do you need root canal therapy? Your dentists at Thomasson Dental in Madison, TN, Dr. Mark Thomasson and Dr. Andrew Thomasson, can tell you if your tooth can be saved with this predictable and long-standing restorative service.
What is a root canal?
So named for the pulp-filled void inside each tooth root, root canal therapy removes infected and inflamed tissue, seals the canal and covers the tooth with a porcelain crown. Dr. Thomasson performs these procedures with benefit of local anesthetic and small files which debride and smooth the canal walls. He also instills antibiotic medication to clear up the infection and strengthens each canal with gutta-percha, an inert, biocompatible putty.
Usually, root canal treatments take two visits to your Madison dentist's office. One appointment involves evaluation of your tooth, taking oral impressions, cleaning out the canals and placing a temporary cap over the tooth.
After about ten days, you return to Thomasson Dental where your dentist removes the cap, checks the status of the tooth and then covers it with a customized porcelain crown. That completes your root canal treatment.
What tells the dentist you need a root canal
Many things do. One is dental sensitivity to pressure, heat and cold. Another is drainage, reddened, swollen gums and toothache pain. Sometimes, really bad breath accompanies a dental abscess. Also, some teeth benefit from root canal therapy if they have suffered trauma or are simply weak congenitally. Count on the expertise of your oral health care provider to guide you through the decision process and the treatment itself.
Miscellaneous facts about root canal therapy
1. It's as easy as getting a big filling.
2. It saves teeth from unnecessary extraction and expensive tooth replacements.
3. The procedure does not hurt.
4. Most root canal procedures succeed, preserving teeth for years, says the American Association of Endodontists, dentists expert in root canal therapies of all kinds.
5. Teeth treated with root canal therapy are easy to care for. Brush and floss as you usually do. See your dentist at Thomasson Dental every six months for a professional cleaning and examination.
Do you need a root canal?
Dr. Mark Thomasson or Dr. Andrew Thomasson will let you know if your tooth is a candidate for this tried and true treatment. If you suspect a serious problem with any of your teeth, call the office in Madison, TN, right away for an appointment: (615) 865-1732.