How crown lengthening from your general and cosmetic dentists in Madison, TN, can help your smile
When you look at your smile in the mirror, do you see your teeth, or do you see your gums? There is a condition known as a “gummy smile” which can ruin the appearance of your smile. The good news is, there is also a procedure to fix a gummy smile. It’s called crown lengthening, and your dentist can help.
Drs. Mark and Andrew Thomasson at Thomasson Dental in Madison, TN, offer a wide range of general and cosmetic dental services, including crown lengthening to help your smile.
A gummy smile is caused by excessive gum tissue which grows over parts of your teeth. Excessive gums can hide your beautiful teeth, making your smile unattractive. Excessive gum tissue, or gummy smile, can be caused by a few factors, including:
- Medications; if you have taken some anti-seizure medications like Dilantin, your gums tissue can grow to excess. This is a condition known as Dilantin hyperplasia.
- Genetics; there are some genetic mutations and syndromes which can cause excessive gum tissue.
- Multifactorial causes; excessive gum growth can be caused by a combination of factors, or for an unknown cause.
To read more detailed information about gummy smiles, please click here.
Whatever has caused your gummy smile can be corrected with crown lengthening. During crown lengthening, the excessive gum tissue is removed. Your gum contours are reshaped, exposing more tooth structure. Crown lengthening can give you a more balanced smile.
You may also need crown lengthening if your dentist needs to place a crown, but there is not enough tooth structure to provide a foundation for the crown. If a tooth has broken off below the gum line, gum tissue can be removed, exposing more of the tooth to attach a crown.
If you need crown lengthening or another dental procedure, you can take advantage of the sedation options available at Thomasson Dental. You can choose from:
- Oral sedation; which involves taking a sedative in pill form before treatment
- Inhaled sedation; which involves inhaling a combination of oxygen/nitrous oxide
- IV sedation; which involves injecting a sedative directly into a vein
To learn more about crown lengthening and other dental services, including sedation, talk with the experts. Call Drs. Mark and Andrew Thomasson of Thomasson Dental in Madison, TN, at (615) 865-1732. Call today!